The Deans and their in-laws operated many of the beer houses and pubs in Stapleford in the 1840s through the 1890s
Thomas Dean operated the first called, initially, the Horse Shoes on High Street sometime after 1841.
He continued to operate it until 1870 when he passed it over to his daughter Mahala and her husband, Robert Ransom. Robert, who was 72, and Mahala, 64 were still operating what was now called the Three Horse Shoes in 1881. By 1891, Robert had died and Mahala, 75, was operating what was listed as the “Horse Shoes Public House”. Her son Edmund, his wife and their 2 daughters were living there with her.
In 1979, Three Horse Shoes was rebuilt and renamed The Longbow. It still operates at3 Church St.
and a cottage at 5 & 7 Bar Lane from her father, William Elbourn. They continued operating is until at least 1868 when it and its adjacent cottage were put up for sale. It is not clear if they ever sold, since Naomi and their son Elbourn continued to operate the Beer House until at least 1881.
Subsequently, it was renamed The Millwrights Arms, where Peter, listed as a Publican, Naomi and three of their children, including my 15 year old great grandfather, Peter Dean Jr. were recorded in the in the 1871 Census.
In the 1891 Census, a Joseph Baynes is listed as running a public house on Bar Lane. By the 1901 Census it was called The Tree (from 1895?) operated by Eversden Beavis 39
The Tree, recently renovated, continues to operate in Stapleford, as a pub.
In the 1871 Census, Robert Dean (1814 – 1874), Peter Sr.’s cousin, and his wife Ann Lord (1812 – post 1891) were operating the Gipsy Weaver in Stapleford. By 1881, Robert had died, and Ann was now operating a pub called the (possibly renamed) Hammer & Anvil.
In 1901 Census, the Hammer & Anvil was being operated by John Smith, an Army pensioner and tavern keeper.
Other Stapleford Pubs
According to Michael Farrar, a local Stapleford historian: ”There are a number of vanished public houses and beer houses: the Dolphin (1861-1920), commemorated in Dolphin Way, the Hammer and Anvil (1875-99), the Millwrights Arms, possibly the same as the Tree (1871), the Gipsy Weaver (1871) and the Bell (1774-82), no doubt the same as the Light Horse (1783-84)”. [e-mail 16 Jan 2011]
The Rose: The final, original Stapleford pub still operating is the Rose onLondon Rd (formerlyHigh St). Established as early as 1865, it was called The Rainbow in 1740, but by 1764 had been renamed The Rose and Crown. By about 1900, it was simply the Rose.
 Son of peter’s uncle William Dean & Sarah Cocks